Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Hooray for Paint

I've been looking at a lot of work lately by other artists, and I'm noticing a growing trend towards slick images that veer away from brush strokes or gesture lines.

It's probably not a trend.

I'm probably just waking up to the notion of marrying artwork with graphics to create paintings that look as polished as posters. While I'm a fan of the computer and Adobe's Creative packages, I have to admit that, even when I use those, I like a stray line here and there.

I admire those who can keep all lines so exceptionally tidy that their paintings emit a "fresh off the press" vibe, but something about finishing a piece THAT much...for ME...makes me twitch a tiny bit.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Stray lines, brush strokes, and "imperfections" are what gives a painting character. Why in the world would anyone want to eliminate them?

Anonymous said...

Are you talking about me?